Visit Shell Island
Shell Island | Panama City Beach
A must-see when visiting Panama City Beach, Shell Island is an area of undisturbed beach and beauty in Northwest Florida. The area delivers some of the clearest water and whitest sand you’ll see and is home to locals like our area dolphin. Here are 5 things you need to know about Shell Island.
- Shell Island is an undeveloped barrier island which lies between the Gulf of Mexico and St. Andrews Bay. No-one lives on the island and there are no stores, restaurants or facilities. It’s just as nature intended – perfect.
- Things to do on Shell Island include swimming, tanning, walking, kayaking, fishing and the all-time favorite pastime – hunting for shells!
- There are many local boat companies offering cruises to Shell Island. Journey time is around 30 minutes and you can choose from numerous different styles of vessel. How about a glass-bottomed boat? Or a fancy sunset cruise? Either that or rent a pontoon boat for yourself – it’s easy!
- Shell Island in Panama City Beach is home to one of the world’s highest concentrations of bottle nosed dolphins. It’s awesome beyond belief to see and interact with these amazing creatures, and they certainly aren’t shy! In addition to dolphins, there are extensive opportunities to see wildlife on Shell Island, perhaps even the odd gator or two!
- Shell Island is spectacular year-round. All the beaches along Panama City Beach’s coastline are beautiful but this one tops the lot. You can visit any time you like, although to avoid crowds it’s best to make the trip in the off-season when it’s still warm enough to swim. Catch a sunset, pack a picnic or just take in your surroundings.